Saturday 18 September 2010

Finally a carp..

My swim for the day, perfect.

Form my most recent session I'd decided to fish a swim at the very rear of the lake, after a long and painful walk with my barrow, I found the swim already taken - it was never taken! Disappointed I trudged back round to the second swim I fished, between the concrete bowl and the island. I put one rod 10yds from the island, a second in the same spot I caught the bream from, and the third quite far to my left towards the diving board.
Each rig had a stick on plus a small bag of chops.
I set up my shelter, half hoping for even some bream bites whilst I did so, but no luck. I resisted putting bait out, and settled down to watch the lake and wait.
But by lunch I'd had no bites, but maintained my approach of leaving alone, not even sticking out some boilies. I'd been watching other anglers who'd be spodding and sticking out bait, hoping that any disturbance might push fish from their side of the lake to mine, wishful thinking, I guess.
By 3.30pm, and with my time running out, I was giving up hope. Drinking up the last of my coffee, I started to txt home to say when I'd be returning, when I was rudely interrupted - my middle rod roared off, the bait runner screaming as a carp took off out into the lake.
Tightening up to fish I soon realised the fish was kiting to the right towards the island. Knowing that I didn't want it getting to, or round the back, of the island (both would mean I'd lose it) I put a fair amount of pressure on - walking down the swim away from the island, and giving as little line as possible.
22lb 12oz cracking common
The rod was bent at a fairly severe angle, but it turned and headed out into the lake, straight ahead. I let go a little while maintaining some pressure to keep it working! It turned again, then headed to the left, towards the diving board, I gave it some line, as it was still a fair way from it, but soon it turned, and from then on, it was a trouble free landing into my net.
It looked a clearly large fish. Beautiful too, a deep brown/gold, fin-perfect Common Carp. When weighed it went 22lb 12oz, new PB (Common, carp, any fish!), but then I panicked; there was noone else to take a photo, I needed a shot of me with it. I quickly took a pic of it on the mat, then covered it, and ran up the bank to the path. Got the attention of a bloke walking his dog, who happily came down to the swim and took the snaps. Hero! The fish went back strongly, after a small crowd had gathered!
I cast the rig back out, but time was ticking and soon I packed up. My plan came together, and I'd got a lovely fish. Next time I'd have even higher expectations, I'm guessing they'll not be achieved, but I can't wait to be disappointed...

2 comments:

  1. Very nice blog Andy, and well done with the 22lb+ common, lovely fish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers, it was a cracking fish, regardless of weight to be honest.

    ReplyDelete