Saturday 18 September 2010

First visit


My swim for the day

It's July and my first chance in the new season to fish Coate. I decided to fish the bay at the rear of the lake; carp definitely congregate there in the close season, they may (or may not) be still around. they will certainly be more secretive.
I chose a swim with a stage on the edge of the bay; allowing me to fish the bay itself and more out into open water. it was a lovely day, with a cooling breeze. I arrived at 6.50am and after the weary barrow bush round to the swim I was set up and cast out by 7.40am. I fished 3 rods, with 3 different rigs. My first rig was a KD rig with a pop-up and bottom bait plus a shot on the hair, nicely balanced. my second was a simple hair rig with a bottom bait; the hair coming off the bend of the hook. the final rig was another pop up fished about 3 inches off the bottom. I cast one to my left into the bay, one straight out about half way across and the third out to open water to my right. I baited with a throwing stick, laying 30 or so boilies (gulls notwithstanding) around the 3 rods in a fairly haphazard pattern. Each rig also had a small stick mix.
The day past quite quietly, as in I had no bites. I did discover, however, a few of the joys of fishing a public park lake. First a woman arrived with 6 dogs, all of which she allowed to swim in the bay; no reason or rules prevented her from doing this, but 6 dogs swimming 20ft from 2 of my baits probably did little for my chances. Second, some kids set up on the other side of the bay and spent a happy, for them, couple of hours, throwing stickes, branches and lumps of mud in the lake.
Anyway I packed up at 4.0pm not entirely miserable but decided I'd fish in a different swim next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment