Saturday 18 September 2010

Tactics, lessons learnt, decisions...

Although I'd been unsuccessful in my attempts for Carp, I'd still learnt some valuable lessons and come to some important decisions.
Although I'd not seen any fish I had watched other anglers go about their business. Many would use a marker float and spod out bait; putting out quite large quantities. They'd also use bait boats to do much the same thing. Chod rigs (not just the one I'd reeled in) also seemed popular, as did casting out reasonably long distances.
Most dedicated carpers appeared to bivvie up and stay for overnights/multiple days; a luxury I can't share. This help them overcome putting out large quantities of bait without worrying too much about disturbance, as they're around long enough to wait for the fish to be tempted back in.
I'd also struggle to put out large amounts of baits as I 1) don't have a spod rod, 2) am not up to repeated long casting (shoulder and hip probs) and 3) can't afford the volumes of bait for this tactic.
It seems therefore both impossible and, indeed, foolish for me to try to copy their tactics. Indeed, there is a lot of good evidence that NOT copying what other anglers are doing can reap real benefits, especially if fishing short, day sessions.

I've therefore decided that I should use my limitations as positives. Use them to shape my tactics and make best use of my time on the bank.
Firstly I should just cast out my baits with no additional loose feed, just a stick and/or bag
Secondly I should only put out loose feed after I've caught, or after I've been there fore 5hrs+ and even then only small amounts of scattered bait.
Thirdly I should try different rigs, forgo the popular chod rigs for now...

We'll see if this works..

No comments:

Post a Comment